The Exam and Examstudio – Instructions for the teacher
To create an exam in the Exam application you need a JAMK user name.
Every exam for a course has to be created separately in the Exam application. The teacher defines a time window (period) in which the exam can be taken. The student can sign up for an exam in the Exam application only if the teacher has created the exam and the time period is valid. The time period set for the exam can be for example one month.
The teacher chooses the duration for the exam in the Exam application. The duration of the exam is one of the following:
- 60 min (1 x 60 min = 1 classroom hour, of which 55 min is reserved for taking the exam and 5 min for returning the exam and exiting the computer)
- 90 min (2 x 45 min = 2 classroom hour, of which 85 min is reserved for taking the exam and 5 min for returning the exam and exiting the computer)
- 135 min (3 x 45 min = 3 classroom hour, of which 130 min is reserved for taking the exam and 5 min for returning the exam and exiting the computer)
- 240 min (4 x 60 min = 4 classroom hour, of which 235 min is reserved for taking the exam and 5 min for returning the exam and exiting the computer)
Exams always begin at 30 minutes past the hour. To take the exam in the Examstudio, the students will make a reservation for the date and time that best suit them during the exam period defined by the teacher.
There are eight exam computers in the Examstudio. The Examstudio is monitored by a video surveillance system that records besides video also audio. In the Examstudio, regular exam rules and procedures apply: no talking, no cheating, no disturbing other students. In all cases, the teacher has the responsibility over the exam and thus, in cases of exceptions or irregularities in the procedure, the student is advised to contact the teacher.
Computers in the Examstudio
The computers are designated only for taking exams. Connections to external internet and web services are blocked.
- Windows 10 enterprise 64bit (operating system) + Windows utilities e.g. calculator
- Microsoft office 2016 fi/en (including word processing and spreadsheet), spell check is availabe
- Adobe Acrobat (pdf-files read)
- Irfanview (image view)
- Notepad++ (text editor)
- Firefox (internet browser)
- Media Player Classic
The use of USB-memory sticks and discs is blocked.
How to create an exam
There are three steps in creating an exam.
- connecting the exam and the course
- defining the basic information of the exam
- adding the exam questions
* * * *
- Log into Exam application using your JAMK user name at the address: https://exam.jamk.fi. Use supported internet browsers: Firefox or Chrome. On your personal Exam-dashboard, you will see the exams that you have created. Click Create new exam. Select General exam, it is suitable for almost all cases. Personal exam is suitable for one student who makes a personal exam (but this is not used in JAMK):
2. Search the course either by code or name:
Maturity test? The files that the student needs in the maturity test are in Elmo (pdf, docx). Load them first e.g. to C-disc, so you can easily copy them to Exam application.
3. Define the basic information. Give a descriptive name to your exam. Define the exam period, during which the exam can be taken. Ensure that the time period is long enough for the students to have plenty of time options for taking the exam – the Examstudio can be overly booked during peak times. You can add more than one examiner for the exam. In a maturity test add an evaluator. If the name of the examiner is not listed in Exam application ask him/her to log in once to update the database.
4. Select the duration for the exam. Note that the last 5 minutes of the exam duration should be reserved for returning the exam and exiting the computer. Mention this to the students. Set the grading scale, the language and other information. Ignore the software-question. Draw up the instructions for the student:
5. Add questions. First you must add a section name, after that add a question (essay or multiple choice). If you choose a multiple question, we recommend you to use ”randomize” and to create at least five different options in each section. Preview exam, Save and publish:
6. After publishing the exam is visible to the students and they can sign up now for an Examstudio exam.
Notice that the Exam assessment data is not automatically synchronised to ASIO or Optima.